Sunday, December 9, 2007

Investigating the Church

The chairman of the Senate Finance Committee recently began an investigation of at least 6 "Mega-Church" operations asserting that he was simply making sure that these tax-exempt organizations were complying with the law. (Click on the title to read the NPR news report) And, while it may seem that these churches have expended funds on things that are not intuitively connected to ministry, I wonder why the politicians have chosen only to investigate churches.

Churches are not the only institutions that enjoy tax-exempt status. Nor are they the only tax-exempt organizations that spend money on things that would not be intuitively related to their tax-exempt missions. Is the Senate asking how much tax-exempt hosptials are paying their executives? Or how much true "charity" health-care they are providing? Is anyone wondering how tax-exempt universities are paying salaries for football coaches? Or why a college education at a tax-exempt organization is far beyond the means of many Americans?

What I see is that the larger organizations in society have lost some sense of responsibility to the people that they are supposed to serve. I am supporting a great number of institutions that are not contributing to the tax roll because they supposedly perform functions that society greatly needs and wants to encourage. But, if I attempt to use those services, I pay not just a market rate, but often a rate that is terribly expensive. If I go to the charity hospital, for example, and choose to pay cash -- my bill will be at least double what Blue Cross would have to pay to have that service performed on ME.

So, go ahead, Sen. Grassely, and look at how the churches spend their money. But, would you mind checking on some of the other organizations that don't pay taxes? At least at church, I give my money voluntarily. I don't have as much choice at some of the other "charity" organizations.

No comments: